Working in the U.S.

Are you a Canadian resident working in the US? We can help.

If you’re a resident of Canada but work in the United States, the Canada-US Tax Treaty provides special rules to determine how you are taxed. 

Depending on your situation, you may have to pay US federal and, if applicable, state income tax in the United States on your US-source wages. You will also have to report this income on your Canadian tax return. To avoid double taxation, you will generally be allowed to claim a foreign tax credit on your Canadian return for any tax you pay to the United States. 

If you’re self-employed, the rules are different. However, you should keep track of the number of days you are present in the US as you may be deemed to have a permanent establishment in the US if you or your employees spend significant time in the US in any twelve month period.

At HerrickGlobal, we can give you peace of mind that comes with knowing you will not face the unknown alone. Our highly trained advisors can handle all of your tax filing needs quickly and efficiently. Schedule an appointment today - we look forward to meeting you!